The S.S. Turbo was a 4,782 GRT steam cargo ship built at J.D. Laing Shipbuilding (Deptbord Yard No. 635), Sunderland, UK, for the Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co., Ltd., London. She was launched 11 July 1912, and completed the following month.
Following an attack on 20th August 1941, the Turbo was damaged beyond repair, it was decided that she could still be used as a stationary bulk fuel storage facility, and on 01 April 1941 she departed Suez in the tow of the Gladys Moller, a sister ship of the Rosalie Moller.
In heavy weather on 04 April 1941, the Gladys Moller, with the Turbo in tow, neared Ras Banas when the Turbo suddenly broke in half. The forward section was ordered sunk by gunfire as it was a navigational hazard. The after section on the Turbo remained afloat but could not be boarded. On the night of 05 April, the Gladys Moller lost sight of the after section and the next morning the Turbo was gone.
She now lies in 28-meters of water lying near the reef on its port side. The starboard side of the ship is at a depth of around 18 meters with the stern pointing in a northwesterly direction.
Learn more about the aircraft attack on the SS Turbo and diving her at: http://dive.im/SSTurbo[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]