One for the deep technical divers, The Maidan was a “Steel Screw” Steam Cargo Ship of 8,205 GRT built at W. Hamilton & Co. (Glen Yard No. 231), Glasgow, Scotland in 1912 for T & J Brocklebank, Liverpool, London.
During the early years of WWI, the Maidan was requisitioned for use by the Ministry of War Transport (MOWT) as a troop transport. She carried the Liverpool Scottish Regiment and the Queen’s Westminster Riflesinfantry battalions from Southampton on 01 November 1914 and delivered them to Le Havre on 03 November. These battalions were among the first infantry battalions to be landed in France.
She was discovered in 2003 between 80 and 120 meters on the south side of Rocky Island and is nearly complete. It is a relatively undisturbed wreck and has only been visited by very few divers since it’s location was found.
Read more about the sinking of this great wreck at: http://dive.im/SSMaidan