The HMS Myngs (later the El Qahar) originally began life as a 1,830 GRT Destroyer of the British Navy. She was built at the Naval Yard of Armstrong Whitworth, High Walker Yard No. 53, Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle, UK. The ship’s keel was laid 27 May 1942, she was launched 31 May 1943, and completed 23 June 1944 as Flotilla Leader.
While at anchor at Ras Banas near Port Berenice on 16 May 1970, the ship was attacked by an Israeli air wing consisting of French-built Dassault Mirage aircraft. The El Qahar was able to fend off multiple attacks while at the same time taking direct hits from the attacking aircraft. The ship, suffering severe battle damage, eventually sank by the stern and came to rest on a coral reef on the sea bed with only her bow remaining above water.
Learn more about the lifetime history of this wreck at: http://dive.im/ElQahar